A Travellerspoint blog

last day at Kande beach

sunny 33 °C

Sunday Feb 5th. (Superbowl Sunday)

We woke up around 8ish, had breakfast. Hung out in the water with Carl, Elise, Susan, Ciara, and i for a couple hours before lunch. The weather and water was beautiful. After lunch we rented a couple canoes to get over to a nearby island, which was only a few hundred meters away. Susan and Elise were in one canoe, Ciara and I were in the other. I wanted to go snorkelling when I got to the island so i rented a mask when we were renting the canoe. Susan and Elise got in there canoe and started off towards the island with no troubles. CI and I on the other hand didn't do so well. We capsized 3 times within 100 feet of shore, luckily the water was only waste deep so we walked the boat back to shore to try again. The second time around I sat in the back and Ciara took the front. We did much better the second time, we only capsized once, and it was only 20 feet from where we were supposed to tie the boat off at the island. After we swam the boat into our destination we emptied all the water out of our canoe, and explored the island. A short time later the lady we rented the canoe from showed up, we explained what happened and she recommended that we empty the water out of the hull. We were pretty ticked off that she gave us a canoe half full of water to take out, so we refused to pay for the snorkel and mask that we lost during one of our capsizing adventures. The island was pretty fun, we did some klooffing (cliff jumping), got some good video, and pics. After that we canoed back to Kande beach, and we didn't capsize once. When we got back to the beach we left the canoe on the shore and put the oars back in the dive shop and left before the divers came back and tried to make us pay for the snorkel and mask. We lounged on the beach for a bit before grabbing a drink from the bar and walking down the beach to Jonathan's shop, where we bought a nice souvenir. We had a pig roast for supper (our first time), Louie really enjoyed it but I wasn't so keen. It had alot of fat on it but it was an interesting experience. After supper we went to the camp's cafe and had chocolate cake... it was delicious! Then we packed up our stuff, watched a movie before bed.

Posted by braycullen 07:55 Archived in Malawi

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint